During the 32nd episode of On Purpose, host Alex Beadon, sits down with Alex Wolf, the original founder of Boss Babe, to discuss what it takes to become a marketing prowess and social media success. The two discuss the direction of direct consumer marketing and how people can form a brand that makes a difference.
- Introduction of Alex Wolf, Original founder of Boss Babe
- Alex is her own boss and it leaves her with a wealth of time and control
- The power of organic growth in the marketing scene
- Social media followers don’t equal a paying business
- The smoke and mirror effect of the internet can be difficult to overcome
- Why molding your own definition of success is important in finding personal happiness
- The best thing the business gave Alex was a network
- Perception plays a huge role in what is happening
- Alex has noticed that artists with a polished marketing finish are making the money in the industry
- Direct to consumer marketing is a more powerful form of marketing
- When you sell business to business, it becomes a race of perception not money
- Going direct to consumer you have to find a way to make it work for you
- When you understand branding, you sell without selling
- Branding is about perception
- Personal brands are just personality
- Sharing your personality authentically wins the marketing game
- Building a personal brand and beating a social media algorithm are two different things
- A good brand is one where you can remove the logo and people still know what you are selling
- Finding your online brand and personality involves playing and self-compassion
- Loving yourself is an important step in showing your true self online
- We are concerned about what is going to get likes rather than showing our true selves
- Alex considers herself as an intellectual. She is more interested in putting her ideas out there rather than her art.
- Alex’s focus right now is speaking and promoting her book
- She just finished filming a documentary
- How ads are affecting consumers online reading ability
- Chronic social media and cell phone addiction
- We need to learn how to use these technological tools in a new way
- What metrics accurately measure social media marketing success?
- A ¨Like¨ is minimal effort
- A comment and shares take more effort. These are the most golden metrics
- When you are seeking a metric like followers, it is important to be aware of your manipulation of that metric
- For Alex, it is about showing up regardless of what the number says
- It is about effort
- Social media makes it seem like relationships don’t matter, but you still have to build trust.
- Alex has reverted back to twitter due to its focus on snarky culture commentary rather than the focus of instagram
- If the average person doesn’t have a descent attention span, what gets lost?
- Mindset: Nothing external will make you happy
- Advice: Be mindful while with the elements like in a shower or lighting a candle: fire, water
Three Key Points
- Social media is a powerful tool when it comes to creating your brand and marketing your business, but followers aren’t a paycheck.
- Online marketing through social media isn’t much more than finding your personal brand, sharing authentically, and building trust with your followers.
- The massive increase of ads in the online space could be affecting us negatively. Alex Wolf unpacks this topic in her documentary.
- “Nothing external will make you happy.” –Alex Wolf.
- “Learn to adapt and take the world [and social media] seriously.” – Alex Wolf.
- “The social media portion of the internet has only been this public in society for four years.” – Alex Wolf.
- Resonate: For Anyone Who Wants To Build An Audience, Alex Wolf
- Amusing Ourselves to Death, Neil Postman
Check out Alex: