TO STAY UP TO DATE ON ALL THAT IS GOING ON!

HOW TO GO “PUBLIC” ON SNAPCHAT

how-to-go-public

THE QUESTION:

Hi Alex!

I follow you everywhere (on social media haha, didn’t mean to scare you there), and I’m curious about using snapchat for my own business, just for fun (I’m a wedding photographer so I’d like to share on the go behind the scenes from shoots and my office everyday life).

What I realized when announcing this and a few followers added me, is that once I accepted them they end up in my list of contacts and the list grows very big and it’s hard/tedious to find my friends and family in the list when I want to share something special/personal just for my closest people.

Do I need to add/accept all my snapchat followers for them to see my story? Or is it enough that they add me and I never really click the “+” icon so they end up in my friends list?

Would love your input on how you differentiate between personal and business snapchat 🙂

Love your work, keep it up!
Snappy Happy

Dear Snappy Happy,

First and foremost, I think it’s magnificent that you’re on Snapchat. Here’s why:

In the land of social media, Snapchat is the “cool kid on the block” right now. And guess what? It was deemed as the 3rd most popular social app among millennials by TechCrunch. Snapchat works really well for you as a wedding photographer because the people using Snapchat the most right now are aged 18 through 34. This is the perfect age for you because these are people who are either getting married soon, or know of someone who is getting married soon.  The truth is, Snapchat has people’s full attention right now. It’s new, fun, and cool, and as Gary Vaynerchuk would say – it hasn’t been ruined by marketers yet. In other words, the fact that you’re an early adopter of Snapchat is HUGE because there’s not that many business owners who are thinking of using Snapchat in creative, unique ways to market their business, and therefore there’s a lot less competition for people’s attention. Compare this to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, where people are being overloaded with marketing content from businesses big and small, and you’ll see what I mean!

Here’s how you can let your new followers see your story on Snapchat without having to add them and overpopulate your Snapchat News Feed:

1) Open the Snapchat App and press the ghost at the top, center of your screen (where you take pictures)

How-To-Go-Public-on-Instagram-with-Alex-Beadon-STEP1

2) Click the settings icon at the top, right hand side of your screen

How-To-Go-Public-on-Instagram-with-Alex-Beadonstep2

3) Scroll down to where it says “Who can … Send me snaps and View my Story” and change to “Everyone”

step33

WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE YOU’VE ALREADY FOLLOWED WHO ARE CLUTTERING YOUR NEWS FEED?

Once you’ve set your settings to “anyone can view my story”, you can go ahead and delete them. Once you delete them as a friend, they won’t show up in your news feed anymore, but you will show up in theirs! Here’s how to do this:

1) Click the ghost icon at the top, center of your screen

2) Click “My Friends”

3) Tap the person’s name you want to remove

4) Click the “Settings” icon

5) Click “Remove Friend”

CONCLUSION:

The wonderful thing about making your stories visible to ‘everyone’ is that once people add you, you won’t have to add them back. They will already have full access to your story! YAY!

I hope this helped, Snappy Happy! And I hope that *you* have a brilliant day! 🙂

With love and sparkles,
Alex
xoxo

LEAVE A COMMENT – IT’S GOOD FOR BUSINESS:

1. Are you on Snapchat, yet? If so – let’s be friends! Add me: thealexbeadon
  2. Did you find this article helpful? Will you be making your Snapchat Stories public so that whenever someone adds you, they automatically get access to your story?
  3. What are your thoughts on Snapchat so far? Do you think it’s here to stay?
  4. Do you use Snapchat often?
  5. How many friends do YOU have on Snapchat?
51 comments
Add a comment...

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

• IngeborgJune 17, 2015 - 12:54 pm

Wow! This is so awesome, thank you so much! It was exactly what I was looking for.

I use Snapchat all the time personally, but I’m taking baby steps to go public with some aspects of my life/business. I think it’s a wonderful addition to Facebook and Instagram.ReplyCancel

• Alex BeadonJune 17, 2015 - 4:20 pm

So so so glad you enjoyed this post! 🙂 You should definitely check out how Sparklers Asia Croson and Haleigh Pannell are using it to integrate personal + business as photographers!ReplyCancel

• StaciaJune 17, 2015 - 2:33 pm

This is so helpful! Thanks so much, lady!ReplyCancel

• Alex BeadonJune 17, 2015 - 4:20 pm

So glad you found it useful Stacia! Thanks for the comment!ReplyCancel

• KatieJune 17, 2015 - 3:30 pm

Love it Alex! I had apparently set this without even knowing it! Good to know that if I delete someone they don’t know I’ve deleted them and I still appear in their feed 🙂ReplyCancel

• Alex BeadonJune 17, 2015 - 4:20 pm

So glad you enjoyed this post and YAY for having it set already 🙂 Rock on! xoxoReplyCancel

• Melissa OpieJune 17, 2015 - 4:41 pm

Hi Alex,
    I’m curious if you’re suggesting we click on “Everyone” for “Who can send me snaps”? or just for “Who can view my stories”?

Thanks for clarifying!ReplyCancel

• Monica GalvanJune 17, 2015 - 9:50 pm

Thanks for this tutorial! I hadn’t thought about how it was possible to do this, great tip.ReplyCancel

• Ximena "adAstra"June 17, 2015 - 11:54 pm

Alex I am so clueless with mobile apps–I swear I’m going on 50ish, not 30ish! This is so beautifully simple and absolutely what I needed. Thank you for putting so much love and sparkles out into the world!

x

XimenaReplyCancel

• TammyJune 18, 2015 - 6:02 am

Hi Alex.. I was so overwhelmed by snapchat in the beginning that I gave up on it very quickly! It seems I am going to have to use this awesome article to start up again! Except, what does one do if they are not uses to making videos and talking to people online.. the mere idea panics me a a bit!!!ReplyCancel

• JenniferJune 18, 2015 - 7:02 pm

COOL! This is really helpful info. Definitely just switched my settings!ReplyCancel

• Bridget McGahenJune 18, 2015 - 8:44 pm

Would you recommend having a separate personal shapchap and business shapchat? or using your personal for both?ReplyCancel

• SheriJuly 1, 2015 - 8:50 pm

Hi Alex! Thank you for this, and for your new newsletter format. May I use your Goody Bag idea in my newsletter? I hope to start those very soon.

BTW, I am new to Snapchat. Is there a way to send a direct Snap to someone? For example, can I send a Snap to you and no one else?

Smiles,
    SheriReplyCancel

• janettNovember 9, 2015 - 10:25 pm

If my stories are public and i removed someone as friend can they still view my stories?ReplyCancel

• TomNovember 13, 2015 - 2:52 pm

What about when followers (who you have not accepted as snapchat friends) view your story. When you check who has viewed your story, will they show up there as well, or just your friends?ReplyCancel

• CortneyNovember 20, 2015 - 9:50 pm

If I delete someone and then make my profile public, will they be able to see my stories?ReplyCancel

• NatFebruary 11, 2016 - 11:45 pm

I was actually wondering this as well. I deleted some people before I made my profile public. I feel like they can’t see your story anymore.ReplyCancel

• Royal_king4LNovember 23, 2015 - 2:45 pm

Need more followers on snapchat and mor viewsReplyCancel

• Tell ShortJanuary 9, 2016 - 12:44 am

SNAPCHAT USERNAME- tellyie
    I have really interesting stories! I live in Alaska so if you want a new fresh look on life then follow me (I always add back)
    USERNAME- tellyieReplyCancel

• isaiah EdwardsJanuary 26, 2016 - 1:06 pm

if you add me ill add you promise sc: edwardobigReplyCancel

• AlexFebruary 11, 2016 - 3:08 am

Great info! Thank you! 🙂ReplyCancel

• nouranFebruary 29, 2016 - 9:53 pm

Hi ,
    i wondered how to know if my followers are able to chat with me about any snap ?
    Thnx in advanceReplyCancel

• Metin GürsoyMarch 6, 2016 - 9:53 pm

Hi Alex, you are great. I have added you right away.ReplyCancel

• […] after you’ve seen it. There is also a feature called ”My story”, which allows you to post public posts and extends the time before a post is deleted to 24 […]ReplyCancel

• IreneMarch 21, 2016 - 11:00 am

This is great! I only have one question, i want to go “public” but my little cousin has me on snapchat and she sees me as her role model, so i put the “who can view my story” to customized and didnt let her see mine so she won’t see when im at a party. I dint want to block her bc we snapchat often but i dont want her to see my story either so idk if i can go public.ReplyCancel

• Mohammed Abu ZeinabMarch 23, 2016 - 5:56 am

This was really useful! so given im the person behind my trade/service/philosophy as well as just wanting to post and try it (it does get fun) I started snapping and sharing tidbits on Instagram to say I was (I’m also not sure of how else to let them know other than through other channels). So people were adding me and I had no idea they couldn’t see until…oops I found out last night and my friend did exactly what you just showed me. But I wanted to learn it for myself.
    Very cool fun and uplift feeling you have in presenting the instructions and the images used! Thank you!
    And then my friends joked saying aaa there’s that selfish don’t add me back coming out hahahaReplyCancel

• Marlene RecinosMarch 27, 2016 - 6:13 am

I have a question , so after putting everyone to view my story what if their are certain people I want to add ? Do I see who has full access to my story ?ReplyCancel

• Sarah davisApril 13, 2016 - 2:11 am

so I changed my settings to everyone but I wanna know if I don’t add someone back can I still see when they view my story? Bc this girl told me she watches my whole story but I never see her name under who views it bc I didn’t add her back? How do I fix this?ReplyCancel

• queenApril 16, 2016 - 8:48 pm

I wanted to ask you can put your friends snaps on your snap story. Something like team snapchatReplyCancel

• SonyaApril 18, 2016 - 7:26 pm

How do you look at someone’s story without being friends with them ?ReplyCancel

• erinMay 10, 2016 - 8:47 pm

We are snap chatting our events in Costa Rica and South Africa this summer and are so excited to use geofilters in our locations! Thanks for the tips to make the snap story viewable to everyone.ReplyCancel

• Markest nealMay 25, 2016 - 4:19 pm

How can u run a business useing. Sanp chatReplyCancel

• GarryMay 26, 2016 - 12:29 pm

Snapchat username :- snappy.garryReplyCancel

• robsnowsurferJune 18, 2016 - 11:50 pm

Can you view a story on snapchat that is set on everyone, without an accountReplyCancel

• MaferJune 19, 2016 - 4:40 pm

Hi! If I delete them BEFORE setting my story to public can they still see my story?ReplyCancel

• AlayJune 26, 2016 - 5:28 am

add me syed_alayReplyCancel

• Kimberly aceitunoJuly 14, 2016 - 3:45 am

I can’t get my account public what i should to do ???ReplyCancel

• KennaJuly 20, 2016 - 2:05 pm

THANK YOU!! Newby here, I had no idea how to get the settings change. People kept saying they couldn’t see my snaps so I googled and you are the first to come up. You’re a huge help and instructions are easy to follow. 🙂ReplyCancel

• Rajiv SahaJuly 28, 2016 - 10:26 am

Add me on Snapchat : gautherevReplyCancel

• DidemJuly 30, 2016 - 10:08 pm

Hello Alex,

I already choosed “everyone” section but my followers can not see my stories. Only the people who added on my list,too ,ca see my snaps…What do you think about it ?

I erase the snapchat than install again. I turned off the phone again install…nothing changed. People can not see my snaps .ReplyCancel

• Drew lessardAugust 20, 2016 - 1:45 pm

Snapchat: andrealessard.
    Wow this is great! Been looking for the answer to this for a while lol! You made it very clear and direct & added pictures bahah. Using my snapchat for “behind the scenes” of my shared vlog channel with my sister as well as my YouTube channel & couldn’t figure this out for the longest time! Was bugging me so much but this helped me! Thank you so much!ReplyCancel

• […] TO GO “PUBLIC” ON SNAPCHAT. (2015). Retrieved December 06, 2016, from http://www.alexbeadon.com/2015/06/17/how-to-go-public-on-snapchat/ Moreau, Elise. Here’s What You Need to Know About Posting Stories on Snapchat. Retrieved […]ReplyCancel

• AlinaDecember 25, 2016 - 7:06 pm

Thankyou so much! I was wondering why people who I hadn’t added back couldn’t see my story and that I would have to add them. This post was very helpfulReplyCancel

• KevinJanuary 26, 2017 - 10:53 pm

Does anyone know after you go public on snapchat how to see a list of who’s following you?ReplyCancel

• Fav shawtyMarch 14, 2017 - 11:03 pm

What about the people that have added u before u have gone to public, will they now also see your snaps? Or just the people that added you after u went publicReplyCancel

• TatteredskyMarch 17, 2017 - 5:24 am

Do the views still pop up if they aren’t added as a friend but look at your story??ReplyCancel

• TeriaMarch 20, 2017 - 9:06 pm

Add me: Queenn_teriaaReplyCancel

• JulizaApril 3, 2017 - 6:33 am

Plzz add me on Snapchat love all you I add back and quick to………Snapchat- juliza.segReplyCancel

• Anna AlbersMay 30, 2017 - 7:22 pm

Very helpful, thank you!ReplyCancel

• Anna AlbersMay 30, 2017 - 7:24 pm

You can also add me on snap! username is a1bers 🙂ReplyCancel

• JazJune 9, 2017 - 8:21 pm

thank you sooooo much for this post. I have been posting on snap and facebook asking people to chime in and help me figure out how to allow people to see my snaps without adding them for months. I couldn’t get an answer. One google search and I found your article. It was so helpful.ReplyCancel

Menu